Friday, September 30, 2016

Kairos of "Ain't I a Woman?"

Sojourner Truth's speech, "Ain't I a Woman?" was given during 1851 in Ohio. The speech had a profound impact at that time due to the abolitionist movement. Truth, once known as Isabella, have this speech at the Women's Rights Convention.  Not only was Truth giving a voice to African Americans but to women as well. During this  First Wave Feminism was sprouting and Truth utilized the growing movements to add power to her talk. Truth remarked on actions she saw where she was treated unjustly. The situations she witnessed could also be seen by her audience, again reinforcing how crucial the time period was.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the situations she witnessed having to do with reinforcement of her argument because in her piece, she uses strong imagery to represent the harshness of the times, which in turn adds to her argument against oppression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to see how you guys classify the main argument in this piece, because I actually think the argument is pretty complex! I obviously see its connection to Chisholm's argument, but I'm interested to see how you guys articulate that in your thesis tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete